Whew! What a year 2020 turned out to be! We saw our entire world at a standstill, severe travel restrictions, the need to learn how to pivot, and the opportunity to work remotely. As a person with the wanderlust gene, the ability to work remotely was a game changer. Allowing me the opportunity to travel the world and still earn a living. I know COVID-19 has wreaked havoc on many wanderluster’s travel plans and dreams, but never lose hope! There are still destinations who are welcoming U.S. Citizens ready to explore.
Here is a list of a few locations that are sure to help get those travel fantasy
juices flowing! Maybe this list will inspire you to turn fantasy into reality. Always work with a knowledgeable Travel Professional. They will make sure that your plans are seamless and safe as requirements change often…like in the middle of your trip. That’s ALWAYS fun!
- COSTA RICA. Pura Vida is not just a phrase; it is a way of life. Costa Rica is the land of beautiful beaches, volcanoes, rainforests, waterfalls, rivers, wildlife, and yoga. There are no COVID-19 test requirements, but you will need to acquire Medical Travel insurance that includes coverage
for any COVID-19 related expenses and complete Health Pass Forms.
- DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. Known for stretches of white sandy beaches, clear blue water, cenotes, mountains, rain forest, nightlife, all for a reasonable price. A COVID-19 test is not required although you will be subject to an aleatory breath test upon arrival as well as need to complete a Health Affidavit. Please note that there are limited testing centers, so if you need a test to enter another country or return home, please plan accordingly.
- THE MALDIVES. A destination that shows up on most everyone’s Travel Bucket List! The Anantara Veli Maldives Resort was offering an Unlimited Stays in Paradise package priced at $30k for the entire year! It needed to be booked by Nov 30, 2020. I am sure this won’t be the
last program of its type to be offered, especially with the hotels all vying for quality business. There is a PCR Test required 96 hours prior to departure and your stay must already be confirmed. All housing options are open and available, you may even stay in multiple resorts
during your visit.
- MEXICO is another destination not requiring test for entry although temperature checks and other screening processes are in place upon airport arrival. You can only enter Mexico via air as all land borders are currently closed. Best known for amazing energy and long lazy beach days, Tulum has seen an amazing uptick in tourism. Mexico City is deliciously cosmopolitan and a major player in epicurean adventures. You can visit hidden cenotes in the Yucatan. Mexico is so much more than Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas or Cancun. Although those are amazing as well!
- PERU is another major Bucket List contender and another Foodie haven! Although Machu Pichu reopened on November 1, 2020 you should not forget about Lima, Sacred Valley, and Cusco. You will need to prepare your body for the altitude adjustment why not make it an adventure?
Stay a while and enjoy each region. For the more adventurous do not leave without trying Cuy a Peruvian delicacy. A PCR test taken with-in 72 hours of departure will be needed for entry.
- SENEGAL has beautiful beaches, tranquility, islands, live music, hospitality, star studded skies, and is a seafood lover’s dream. Dakar a beautifully vibrant city mixing old and new. Mar Lodj is a quant and quite car-free island that enjoys UNISCO world heritage status. Senegal is a beautiful destination with a dark past. The Door of No Return is still standing and worth a visit. A PCR test taken with-in 5 days of entry from an approved location as well as completion of a Passenger Location Form is required for entry.
- SOUTH AFRICA is truly a diverse destination. Beaches, safaris, night life, restaurants, 5-star hotels, wineries, national parks, historical landmarks, mountains, literally everything you can imagine. Everyone knows about Johannesburg and Cape Town, not to be overlooked are Cape
Peninsula, The Garden Route, Blyde River Canyon, Stellenbosch, Cape Agulhas, and Durban all have their own charm and beauty. You will need a negative PCR test taken with-in 72 hours prior to departure. Please note that SA is under curfew between 9pm and 6am however there is not
a quarantine requirement.
- TANZANIA has been on my bucket list for years. Bustling markets steeped in history, azure blue waters, National Parks, Game reserves, and a must-see chain of Islands (including Zanzibar and Pemba). This is a Muslim country, so modesty is required. It is best to avoid clothing that
reveals shoulders and thighs. There has been tremendous growth over the years, wifi access and luxury accommodations are much more accessible. Proof of a negative test is not required, but you do need to complete a Health Surveillance Form upon arrival. It may prove difficult to find a testing center for return entry to the US, Dar es Salaam has the most options for a testing facility but getting an appointment may prove difficult. I would speak with the concierge at your hotel to assist.
I do not know about you, but I am ready to get on a plane right now! Not one trip taken the entire 2020 and I am starting to feel like it is time! Always travel safe and take all precautions. Most importantly respect each countries’ restrictions.
The Travel Goddess, Nik Morales has over 22 years travel experience. She is the owner of The Travel Agency, www.TheTravelGoddessnik.com. You can find her on social media at @thetravelgoddess.